Saturday, May 29, 2010

Hamilton Gardens

I knew of the beauty and natural landscape of New Zealand, but the spectacle gardens that Hamilton has on display show nature in a true form while representing the diverse cultural connection to the locals. It is a place where locals, along with tourists, are able to reflect on their national identity while being surrounded in a place that is calm and tranquil. A garden that holds so much significance and reputation, added to the hype that I felt from conversations I had with people. This morning I had no idea of today’s activities, but after meeting some young tourists who were planning on heading to the Hamilton Gardens, I decided to join them. This way I was able to interact with people and experience the gardens from my perspective as well as shared views. We walked around the gardens and discussed the different spaces and themes while gaining social capital in the form of photos. This not only gave us a souvenir of the gardens, but allowed us to be ourselves and have fun in a peaceful environment. As this wasn’t an organised tour, the young tourist had other activities planned for the day. This gave me the opportunity to look around the gardens, which I saw in a different light. Whether this was because I wasn’t distracted by other thoughts or whether I missed the displays previously, being by myself gave me a different experience. It was at this stage that I realised that my journey in Hamilton was going to depend on where I went and who I travelled with.

No comments:

Post a Comment